Monday, October 1, 2012

From the Teeny Tiny Kitchen

I'm exhausted and am feeling the need to rant, so I'm going to do so interspersed with yummy food.

last week, I learned that trying to get an appealing photo of oatmeal is really difficult...
I mean like really, reallllllyyyy difficult.  It's just sort of...tasty sludge.  mmmmmm...

Ok, enough of the terrible description - this is homemade, oven-baked apple cinnamon oatmeal, which was super easy and really quite delicious.  I generally guesstimate with recipes when I cook, but here's what I did:



1 diced apple
11/2  c. oats
mix these together in whatever pan you're baking with (greased), cover that in hefty sprinkling of cinnamon and brown sugar to taste
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup half and half
as much vanilla as you normally like to cook with
and more brown sugar (you don't have to, but I have an overactive sweet tooth)
Mix these in a saucepan until it starts to thicken to the point of, what is that comparable to, oh, the syrup you put on bread pudding.  Then pour over the dry oats and apples etc. so it's completely covered.  If it still looks a little dry, add more half and half or milk.  Bake for about 40 minutes at 325 or until all the liquid is pretty much absorbed.  add whatever fixin's you normally like for oatmeal or other warm-cereal type breakfast foods.  Here's what mine ended up looking like:
Even with all this deliciousness, it still doesn't look enticing.  

I should probably stop hating on oatmeal's looks.  

Alright I suffered a major disappointment today and am trying to figure out WHAT TO DO WITH MY LIFE, but I've decided to give that topic its own post.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...