Tuesday, October 23, 2012

So how do you quit a job?

Because I have no idea how to do this.

So since I just got hired at the gap, I now have to give notice the next time I work, which is opening on friday.  I'm really worried about it because I've never quit a job before and I'm not really sure what you're supposed to say to make it less uncomfortable.  I want it to be more of a "it's not you, it's me" type of thing.  Because I'm really incredibly busy right now, but my changing jobs will do nothing about it.  And I'm not sure whether or not it's best to say that I'm working somewhere else, or saying that I'm just leaving for personal reasons.

Ok, so here are the reasons why I was looking for a different job

  • I'm broke (but this job hardly pays any more)
  • personal problems with a coworker
  • uncomfortable feeling trying to trick customers to spend enough for me to bonus (and there will be a similar dynamic in almost any retail position.
  • Being rated on email capture which can still completely fail despite how hard you're working, and then having that affect how many hours you are given a week
  • store is having financial problems and cutting our shifts, changed our bonus system so we make less and a typical work day is very slow for the most part and low-grossing.
I just have no idea what to say and not feel bad about it. 
Just have to go in there and do it.  and it's going to suck.  but then after two weeks, I'll never have to go into that store (or mall) again.

That's worth it, right.

2 comments:

  1. i literally always use an excuse that has to do with what i am actually pursuing. like i my common one is "i am quitting to take on more yoga classes", which at least makes me feel like i'm saying "its a better opportunity so i can't say no!". but then they don't take it personally either. i used to feel bad, now its only nerve wracking just right at that last moment when i have to say it, i always feel awful! good luck lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The only person that actually seemed a little snooty about it was the person I was having problems with the first place. and I got to work my last shift at that store with her today, so...glad that's done.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...