Friday, January 25, 2013

Crisis!

I don't think I've gone into much detail about this before, but our apartment building over here is really old.  Everything is broken and falling apart and sometimes, just...yuck.

For instance, we have to have a dehumidifier running constantly because we get black mold really frequently, despite how much we use the fans.  The walls are really poorly insulated, and the windows let a huge amount of heat escape.

When we moved in to this unit, there was basically water pressure in the shower.  Which I think is a weird backwards way of foreshadowing.

Last night, I took a shower before I went to bed (which was really late, around 2:45 or so).  When I was finished, I couldn't turn the water off at all.

We'd been having a problem with the faucet in the bathtub consistently leaking a little bit, but last night, it was as if the valves were completely open.  Being that it was 3am, we called our landlord, but to no avail, of course.  Actually, she rarely answers our calls and emails within a week of when we contact her.

We were frantic and had no idea what to do after turning the knobs this way and that, unscrewing the cover to the knobs and trying to tighten the nut, tried to figure out our ancient water heater but couldn't figure out how to shut it off.  Because this was scalding hot water.  And while we don't pay for water, we do pay for the power it takes to heat it.

After messages and emails left last night, we went to bed after I had shut off the circuit breaker labeled "H.W." which I could only assume meant hot water.

Thankfully, we got a call at 7:30 saying that she had contacted the facilities manager/repair guy and that he would be over soon.  Which he was.  And after a stressful night, the whole thing was finally dealt with.

But last night, we also got our electricity bill for the past two months, and god am I worried. It's about 5x what it has ever been for us.  So either this new apartment is incredibly difficult to heat, or they are seriously overcharging us and something is wrong.

I just don't know what to do right now, so I'll continue trying not to think about anything.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am sorry, that sounds really sucky. You reminded me of Scarlet O'Hara when you said "I'll just try not to think about that right now." Haha.

    Anyway, keep your chin up :) A positive attitude makes all the difference. Something will come up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...