Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Finally Home

A few nights ago, amtrak train 506 pulled into the station and cullen and I were finally home from our vacation.  I kept putting off making this post because I had sooooo many photos to go through, but finally dealt with them today.

As I was saying a week or so ago, I had gotten really really sick, so I was still feeling pretty terribly by the time we left for portland for Christmas.  Which, because of how sick I was, was actually put off until christmas day.  So my christmas was spent feeling nauseous in a car with terrible fast food.  But it was for a good reason.

We were driving down to portland so that on the 26th, we, along with all my paternal family, could leave for Camp Westwind, OR - my favorite place int he world.

On the way there, we always stop at Otis Cafe, which is this TINY, delicious, breakfast restaurant that's like a secret treasure: people who know about this place (or more so, people who know about it and are not from Otis) LOVE this place.  So we stopped there for a late brunch.



Half an hour after that, we were pulling into camp.  I was elated.  It was so comforting.


I frequently write about the fact that living in the city can be incredibly difficult for me, and how I am constantly wishing I had some sort of access to nature and seclusion.  For this reason, the drive out through the country, into the camp property felt a lot like I would want home to feel.


We tried to spend as much time as we could outside, hiking and exploring.  There was a lot of walking on the beach and me trying to climb on things without getting totally wet.


One of these beach walks happened around 10:30pm.  We took my camera and my cousin Ted's tiny portable tripod and did some lightning-bending...or light painting.


My favorite thing to do at westwind is the hike to High Meadow, which looks out over the ocean and gives you a view of lincoln city to the left and the Cascade Head hike and the estuary to the right.  and it is so beautiful.  This is actually the view from what is named potato bug point, the smaller, farther-over-the-water, more dangerous point, which is really amazing to stand on.


After 4 days, we reluctantly returned to portland where, after some serious family crap I don't want to talk about yet, I got to see my two best friends from home-home, shaun and emily as we went out for drinks and a late night burger on 23rd.

The next day, we wound up at the train station, and I got to enjoy my favorite train ride on a beautiful sunny day, while playing plants vs. zombies, which I had a short obsession with.  But it was all pretty damn nice, for the most part.


When I was thinking about what I would write today, there are a lot of other unfortunate happenings that part of me really wanted to write about so it could get out of my head, and the other half just wanted to forget about.  I'm sure I'll write about it at some point soon, but right now, I'm going to pretend this whole trip was golden and I returned home happy as ever.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...