Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tasty Tuesday ~ Latte-Stand Cookies

Last night I was super excited about making almond shortbread cookies with a recipe by The Old Hen.

Strangely enough, recently I was really craving one of those pink cookies (as I imaginatively called them when I was little), probably because of my lack of money to buy anything extraneous like that.  I remember thinking they were just par as a kid, but now thinking back, they were pretty damn delicious.  Also, when I was younger, I had no idea how much I liked almond/amaretto flavoring and didn't even notice that that was what pink cookies tasted like.  So when I found this recipe, baking was a requirement.


(we were particularly fond of the tardis cookie, which we made sure to mix the perfect color of frosting for)

This recipe was super easy, since shortbread doesn't have any eggs and it's usually just 4 or 5 ingredients.  
  • 1 c. butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 1/4 c. flour (though I ended up using more of this and sugar to make a little more dough than in the recipe)
  • 1 tsp. salt (ONLY IF YOU USE UNSALTED BUTTER - I had to compensate for all that salt I didn't think about)
  • 1 tbsp. Almond Extract (the deliciousness-maker)
Mix butter and sugar until creamed, add almond extract to mix, and then add the rest of the ingredients.  When the dough forms, roll out onto a floured surface to 1/4" thick.  Preheat oven to 350.  Start cutting out whatever sort of rad shapes you want.  I did Eiffel Towers, but it ended up being really hard to frost something that was long and thin.  When shapes are cut, place on baking sheet lined with parchment/wax paper, and cook for about 14 minutes or until just starting to brown.

Once you've cut out all the shapes, you can move on to the buttercream frosting.

  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • Vanilla extract (I never really measure this, but 1 tsp. is pretty standard)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (only if using unsalted butter)
  • food coloring to come up with awesome colors.
Mix butter and sugar until there's no dry sugar left, add everything else and mix until no sugar-lumps are left (on an unrelated note, Flight of the Concords sings a song called "sugar lumps"...).



(ready for battle, of course)

Now "Sugar Lumps" is stuck in my head.  "all the ladies checking out mah sugar lumps, sweet sugar lumps."

yes, that song is about what you think it is about.

I haven't decided if I want to keep up a "Tasty Tuesday" feature each week.  What do you think, too corny?

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you for following my blog :) I am a new follower of yours as well! Look forward to reading more!
    Dailypolkadots.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, these are so adorable! Yum...thanks for sharing this recipe, I'll have to try it soon!
    xoxo
    CoverGirl + Converse

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delish! now i am craving some cookies...!
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. almond-flavored cookies are just delicious. i don't know why either. but they're addicting.
    haha, love that last photo!

    xo,
    kristyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and yeah, I know! I can't stop eating them. Guess I just have to wait until they're gone.

      Delete
  5. Looks great!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...