Alright, so last night, I fell into a major food coma, and here's why:
Oh. my.god. I ate about half of this loaf, maybe more, and now it's gone. Yesterday, I couldn't figure out what I wanted for breakfast, so I procrastinated and just snacked and made some coffee.
I decided to take a look at my favorite what-should-I-make-today website, foodgawker, where I saw what was basically this recipe, but in spanish, which led me to the original post by joy the baker.
Since I still had some yeast left in the kitchen, I decided this was probably a good way to spend my sunday.
(This is my pajama sweatshirt, meaning that if you see me wearing it, I'm probably not planning on leaving the house. Which explains the hair...)
Alright, so now that I've showed you all the delicious potential for this magical treat, here's the recipe:
- 3c flour
- 1 1/4c sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 1/3c whole milk
- 1/4c water
- 2 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- mix 2c flour, 1/4c sugar, yeast, and salt.
- whisk eggs and set aside
- heat milk and 2oz butter in saucepan until butter is just melted
- remove from heat, add water and vanilla, and let cool for about 3 min
- add milk mix to dry ingredients, mix together
- add eggs to dough and thoroughly mix in
- add remaining cup of flour to the dough and mix together, it will still be sticky
- place dough in a greased bowl and allow to rise for 1h or until doubled in size
- whisk remaining 1c sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together and set aside
- heat 2 oz butter in saucepan until browned
- when dough is finished rising, roll to about 12"x20" or about as big of a rectangle as it can evenly make
- use pastry brush to coat flat dough in browned butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix until evenly coated
- slice dough into about 6 long equal strips, stack strips onto each other and cut into squares
- layer squares in greased breadpan and allow to rise for another 30-45 min
- bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until top is browned
- allow to cool for about 20 minutes, remove from pan and serve
Enjoy, everyone! I know I did.