Saturday, February 16, 2013

Teeny Tiny Kitchen: What the hell do I call this?

How has your day gone so far?  Because mine was super awesome!

I went to drop off a resume and fill out an application at a clothing store on the hill and the woman I was chatting with the whole time was actually the manager.  She was really friendly and we seemed to get along pretty well.  I put on my friendly, loud, retail attitude and it seemed to work pretty well.  Because while I was there, we scheduled my interview!

So while Cullen and I walked back home, I was smiling the whole way.  Next month will be good, I can feel it.

We stopped at QFC to get a few kitchen staples and decided to do grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner. 

However, in the stairway going up to our apartment, I had an idea...

WHAT IF...I combined the way you make french toast with grilled cheese.  So almost like a monte cristo or croque monsieur sort of, but basting the bread in a whipped egg, spices, and really good tomato soup.

So naturally I'm having a hard time naming this wonderful creation because IT IS ALL THE THINGS! Tomato basil french toast inspired grilled cheese sandwiches?  Who wants to say all that.  This sandwich needs some short, diner-sounding name like "chubbs" or "henriette" or I have no idea (I'm sorry if your name is henriette and I've just offended you with a delicious sandwich).

or what about fromonty?  like fromage meets monte cristo?


  1. Whip up 1-2 eggs (depending on how many sandwiches you want to make) in a bowl until well mixed and slightly lighter in color.  Add and spices you desire and mix those in.
  2. Add 1-2 cups high quality tomato soup to eggs (we usually use the stuff that's refrigerated in the deli area of the store) and mix together.
  3. cut up small slices of any sort of fresh baked bread.  we used ciabatta, but french bread or baguettes etc are all fine as well.
  4. Soak slices in tomato mix until saturated.
  5. melt butter in a pan and when it bubbles and sizzles, add pieces of bread, and flip after about two minutes
  6. cut thin slices of cheese and place on the hot side of the pieces of bread that have just been flipped.
  7. Pile another piece on top and keep cooking on medium heat until cheese is melted
  8. serve with the rest of the tomato soup.
  9. moan and lie on the floor because you ate too much.  ...Oh, is that just me then?  
Ok, so what do you think?  Crazy or not?
I've just been calling this my monster creation when I've referred to it tonight.

Also, I realized I haven't posted anything about valentine's day yet, which I plan on doing.  But I had yummy food to talk about tonight, so I'll probably do a valentine's day post tomorrow.

And I've seen The Princess Bride twice in the past week, so what I just said makes me think of "goodnight westley, sleep well, I'll probably kill you in the morning."

huehuehuehue.







3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh that looks amazing! What a perfect idea to coat them in the eggs and soup before grilling. Genius, I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad it's not crazy enough to scare people off...

      Delete
  2. de-li-cious! this is one of my favorite confort foods


    http://heelsandcrystals.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...