This tuesday, Cullen's and my foodstamp money refilled for the month, so we were finally able to get some more groceries! However, we didn't end up actually doing a big grocery trip until yesterday.
So since we now have a stocked kitchen, I was feeling like baking something for brunch today and decided on raspberry hazelnut bread pudding!
And as you can see, today I made my first ever gif! We had a lot of problems trying to figure out how to save it in a way that it actually changes pictures online (it kept on just showing the first photo), but it finally works and I'm super excited about it.
Raspberry Hazelnut Bread Pudding
- Find all the stale bread in your house. Make an intelligent note of the difference between stale and really old. I mean just like a week or so.
- Rip bread into small bite sized pieces and put into casserole dish (or whatever type of dish you choose to use). Layer with raspberries or just mix them in sporadically. Hey, you're the one cooking here.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- mix one egg with 1/4 cup sugar until the yellow color starts to lighten, add yummy spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. I ended up adding some honey, cinnamon, one big splash of amaretto (so technically it's raspberry hazelnut amaretto bread pudding, but that was too long to say). When that is well mixed, add about one cup of milk or variations of milk and half and half that equal about a cup.
- pour mixture over bread and raspberries until thoroughly soaked. I then poured hazelnut coffee creamer over the top for extra flavor and a little more sweetness.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes, checking halfway through to make sure that some of the liquid from the bottom goes to the top if it dries out.
- remove from oven when it's about 80% dry. Bread pudding is a moist dish after all.
- sprinkle with powdered sugar or other yummy toppings and devour that stuff. because damn was that a tasty 4:00 "brunch".