Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Teeny Tiny Kitchen: Red Wine Roast


I am a grownup and as such, I like wine.  and I like cooking with wine.  And the other night, we happened to have to bottles of red wine and some beef that needed to be cooked soon.  So I decided that a Boeuf Bourguignon inspired roast was totally a good idea.


Step one: cry because you're chopping onions and that shit stings.  So do it really fast.  but don't chop a finger off; I do not condone finger chopping.

Begin heating onions (I did a whole small onion, but probably would have been fine with just half) and add about half a cup of water.  Heat on high until water cooks off, then add some oil to the pan so nothing sticks or burns


Chop up a bunch of mushrooms and add to the pan.  Add any sort of seasoning you like to cook with. I did everyday seasoning from TJ's, some more pepper, garlic, a small amount of paprika and cayenne pepper, some seasoning salt, and a tiny amount of cinnamon


Once the mushrooms start to look a little wet and start shrinking, pour in maybe half a cup of red wine (again, I don't really measure things unless it's for baking).  If you're like me, and you like butter and saucy dishes, add a big hunk of butter to the pan. This makes it so you'll have a little bit of flavorful buttery winey sauce that you can pour on top of the meat.



 Next, grab your meat and basically butterfly it.  you're going to be putting a ton of filling and stuff in there.

 Then, grab a few pieces of cooking twine and lay them across the bottom of your pan.  I used a bread pan because when I've done this before, a lot of stuff has just fallen out and become overcooked in the rest of the pan.

place the meat on top of the strings and spoon in the mushroom/onion mixture.  I had a ton, so I put some on the outside as well.  Then tie the strings up, and if you're feeling really fancy, make little bows or whatever.  You are a grownup.  you can do fancy shit.

At this point, if there's any sauce left over in the pan, just pour it over the whole thing.  hell, while you're add it pour some more wine on there BECAUSE WHY NOT.

Alright, so the cook time and temp depends on how much meat you have.  This was about 2 pounds, so it was in the oven at 400 degrees for just under 45 minutes.  But damn, look at that thing when it comes out.  LOOK AT IT.  It's even got this wonderful layer of fat on one side, which I could tell you didn't get eaten, but it was just so delicious...


Whenever I cook real food, I just feel like announcing "I'M AN ADULT" to the apartment.  Reminiscent of the "throw it on the ground" snl sketch.

Alright folks, and there you have it.  enjoy your boozy meat night!




4 comments:

  1. oh my godddd you are making me so hungry. shall i mention it's 1am? i need beef, pronto.

    xo,

    kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so hard to do but the reward looks great!

    I hope youll check out my blog,

    http://www.waitingfortheinternet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This def looks and sounds like a "Hubby Dish" :) He loves beef and mushrooms- thanks for sharing!

    I wanted to invite you to our weekly Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It starts Friday nights and runs till the end of Mondays, come link up if you have some time :)

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/03/weekend-meet-greet-blog-hop-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this looks incredible! mmmmm........
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...