Friday, July 26, 2013

Black/Rasp-berry Buttermilk Pie



 A few days ago, I saw a recipe on tumblr (complete with some pretty attractive photos) of a Raspberry Swirl Buttermilk Pie.  I, being the Pacific Northwesterner I am, have never set foot in any southern states and so had never even heard of such a thing, but I sure am glad I did.






 From what I could tell, buttermilk pie is almost an easier, lighter cheesecake, based on the taste and the texture.  It's a custard pie, so the main ingredients are eggs, buttermilk, butter, and sugar (butter and buttermilk sounds pretty southern to me...)







 I got to incorporate a trick I heard while watching so much cooking channel/food network: that custard pies and cheesecakes really get the best creamy texture when all the ingredients start at room temperature, so they can cook evenly and slowly.  So I threw the eggs in some hot water while gathering and starting the rest of the ingredients.





And the result was totally delicious!  Sweet creamy, though slightly tangy base, mixed with the berries to provide another tart/sweet dichotomy.  Basically, it was awesome.  I whipped up some cream to smother reasonably dollop on top, and there you have it.  Effing delicious.







I know that this isn't the best plating photo in the world, but hey, when you finish making an awesome dessert, it's kind of hard to cut it out and serve it and then take even more time before eating it.  I guess the reasonable thing to do would have be to photograph the second piece.  But oh well.



For the full recipe, see here.

I made a few changes, like adding another tablespoon of flour to the mix, as well as 4 tbsp of melted butter and a quarter cup of heavy cream, and it turned out just fine.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...